Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Made By Request

Well, my new handmade quilt is done!!! Did I mention it before? I quite like it!

It should be in the mail soon, along with the Tibetan silk afghan. I don't have a picture of that. I expect it's a bit pink. At the very least it'll be colorful. The yarn is made from remnants of the silk used to make saris. Indulgent, I know... but part of the proceeds from the silk yarn did go to charity.

I can't remember what I did. I helped AIDS patients, saved rainforests or gave a child shoes and books. Something of that sort. I don't know how much of it actually went to charity. Hopefully a fair portion, but "charities" have all that "overhead". **sigh** When they spend more on "management" than they do on "helping" is it really a charity?

Anyway... Here's my quilt! No! That's NOT my room!!

Front:



I figured anything bigger than a twin size would be a pain in the ass to wash and much bigger than I really need. This will work nicely anywhere I wish to use it and I can toss it in my washing machine rather than have to take a big one to the laundromat or a cleaner.

I'm not too keen on the cream color. It sould have been a darker, smoky color, more of a coffee shade. It's too white, but it works. Putting all those bits and pices together must have made her positively batty. She took it apart once or twice, maybe thrice or even more!

Back:



It's a custom creation made just for me, as was the silk yarn afghan (both a first for her). We played e-mail ping-pong back and forth with colors and designs until I decided what I wanted. I think it was a bit more work than she expected. I don't think she's made anything quite that big before (I could be wrong).

This was made by Gretchen from Banannas and Toddlers. She's quite a sewing wiz. She seems like quite an amazing person.

No comments: