Saturday, January 10, 2009

Names



I always think the thing about "african american" names is part stereotype, part urban legend.... you know, like the kid named "Lemonjelo" ( lemon jello ), that sort of thing.

I have met people with very odd names, with odd spellings. So I know that people are strange.... this one takes the cake though.

I have "What Not To Wear" on TV behind me... the poor girl... I'd change my name... I have no idea how she spells it.... I'm guessing the way everyone is pronouncing it. The emphasis is on YOU".

Her name is YOUreen. Youreen? Urine? omg. I'm not kidding you. What the hell kind of name is that?


**searches** Oh my. There are some out there, they're hard to find... but there are some.


My best theory matches this "urban legend":


A young woman brought her daughter into Children's Hospital for a routine check up. On the records, the doctor saw that the child's first name was Urine (pronounced Youreen). Unable to contain her curiosity, the doctor asked the woman how her child came by such a "distinguished sounding" name.


The woman explained, "Well, my baby was born premature and had to stay in the special nursery. She was really sick and they didn't know if she would make it. I hadn't picked a name, but one day I came in and saw that the nurses had already given her one. There was this paper on her incubator that said 'Please save Urine,' so I knew that was the name of my baby."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That name ain't nothing compared to this one here

Bryan said...

I saw that (since it's a "local" story). They seem a bit nuts to me.

Ranch Chimp said...

Greeting's Mr.Bryan...well you certainly tell it like it is...dont you? :) What drawn me to your blog...was the open eye,straight truth to what you commented on Ms.Rita's blog about taxing cigarettes and what and who the money goes to...you are exactly right sir. And when they dont tax that...they will find another thing to create as an evil...to tax the hell out of. The thing is that I wanted to point out...is your awareness to the actual reality of the world we live in...and to congratulate you on your honesty I noticed. Believe it or not...most people are not that "frank" and are so blind to what the reality is as well. Thank you sir!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. Eat some lemon jello...

Rita said...

new post please bryan

Bryan said...

What? Am I here to amuse you? I feel like I want to die.

Bruised ribs and a cold hurt hurt like a bitch!