Friday, March 27, 2009

Mid Morning Snack

One of my co-workers emailed me a few weeks ago. "Hey! I want to try these! See if you can find them!"

Always up for a bit of challenge, I found them. My package from Thailand arrived yeserday. I wanted to see her eat them!! I couldn't be a wimp and not eat them as well. I went first. We ate them this morning during break.

We had an audience of course. Everyone was completely grossed out.

They didn't taste like anything to me, just crunchy gross-ness with no flavor. I couldn't bring myself to eat the whole cricket. I just couldn't.

I give you Bag of Mixed Bugs!!!



"This bag contains 5 popular edible bugs including bamboo worms, silk worms, big crickets, mole crickets and buffalo dung beetles. The insects are collected fresh and then quick frozen, cleaned, dehydrated, seasoned and then packed in a special vacuum pouch with an oxygen and moisture absorber. These insects can be eaten straight from the bag. Ingredients: Mixed Bugs, Natural Flavouring, Salt."


7 comments:

Gretchen said...

You had me at buffalo dung beetle.

Bryan said...

The buffalo dung beetles and the silk worms were the tastiest. They sort of had a taste and it wasn't bad. It was terribly gross though.... but you know what?

I would do it again! The reaction from the people watching was priceless!

rita said...

I grew up on a farm & we ate alot of stuff other people wouldn't touch like headcheese, beef tongue, squirrel stew, etc...but bugs!? No frigg'n way. Dung beetles even! *shudder*

Bryan said...

No head cheese, no toungue. I might be able to stomach squirrel stew. I've had rabbit stew.

Strange that the dung beetles tasted the best. That could be some mental thing though...

I have 3 "tribal design" scarabs tattooed on my chest. You know what scarsbs are/were? Dung beetles.

Regulus said...

Your blog topics are getting progressively more gross ...

Bryan said...

Oh, come on. While it was terribly gross it wasn't that awful... and we completely freaked out about 30 people!! Haahahaha!!!

fifi said...

aaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk


that is my single worst phobia.....