Tuesday, September 4, 2007

People on trains... pt. 2, AKA I'm such a child

I had the coolest train ride ever today!

I hopped on the rail line just to ride it. I was bored. I have no life. It's a great time waster. I get to watch the people, read, listen to my music, take a nap.

It was almost time to ride back home and as I approach the platform I see a lady with five kids. Hmmmmm... How annoying. I leave, smoke a cigarette and come back to punch my ticket. I was going to ride in a seperate car... the darned thing is empty at that stop and there were still ten minutes before it pulled out.

Hey!!! They were in the closed off operator's area and he was showing the kids how all the stuff worked. Cool! I've wondered what it looked like in there, so I invited myself.

I got to blow the horn, ring the bells, turn the lights on and off, sit in the control chair. Awesome. He was very careful about what everybody touched and we had to take turns.

The kids were her nieces and nephews, they start school again tomorrow and she wanted them to do something fun before going back. She get's major coolness points for being a cool Aunt, she smiled and laughed when I told her that.

Nice kids too, they were all excited but very well behaved. They all said thank you to the train operator, the boys shook his hand, the littlest girl gave him a hug. Things like that renew my faith in humanity. It's so hard to see the beauty in life sometimes.

I took this just before I bought my ticket back home.
I think it's rather nice.

I'll have to post about my unpleasant train expierience yesterday at another time.

4 comments:

Arcturus said...

So it seems like you've been riding the rail line between Trenton and Camden almost daily lately.

By the way, I apologize for not calling you back the other night. I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

Unknown said...

Arc: As I said, I have no life. I ride it back and forth quite often, I've just never mentioned it.

I think I got cruised by a guy on a bicycle there Tuesday... I'm pretty darned sure I did. He turned around and came back really quick. I think the proper crusing etiquette would have been to sit on the bench near where he said hello instead of wandering around like I do.

He wasn't bad looking, I'd have fooled around, but where to go? I'm not fooling around in one of those disgusting porta-potties. Ewwww.

concerned citizen said...

It's SO important to have our faith in humanity renewed occasionally. :)
The negatives of life can drag us down if we lose sight of the positives.

Well, that's it for my sage advice ...

Very nice skyline picture! The thing on the far right that looks like a traffic sign, is it? if so the scale seems odd...

Unknown said...

Citizen: If you're looking at what I think you are, it's a raised billboard along the highway. Sometimes they're 25 - 50 feet up (I'm guessing here) in the air depending on where they are.

Ugly things.